Sunday, March 18, 2012

Together.

I heard this NPR story earlier this week (anyone else out there an NPR geek?), and it really resonated with me.  If you don't want to click on the link to read the article, it basically boils down to this concept: social influence is huge - friends and family tend to gain and lose weight together (just ask Asa about his baby weight during each of my pregnancies).  I couldn't figure out why I had such a hard time last week, but after lots of reflection, I think it boils down to this: I just wasn't at the gym enough, surrounded by people who are all focusing on their fitness and overall well-being. 

I'm sure you know what I'm talking about - don't you have friends or family members who can sway you one way or the other?  If you're trying to decide between the spinach salad and the chicken fingers and the person you're eating with gets the chicken fingers, wouldn't that make it easier to justify the same choice to yourself?  Or if you really want to skip a workout but have promised someone you'll be there, aren't you less likely to bail?  


So, become buddies with people at the gym - they'll look forward to seeing you there and will miss you when you're gone.  Make healthy meals as a family and celebrate your decision to do so.  Be aware of your choices when you're around people who may influence you to make decisions you'll regret later.  


And, for heaven's sake, start listening to NPR.

6 comments:

  1. Great point. It's not just making the change but the support you can build to keep with it. Sounds like 'anonymous' needs more support so they wont be so bitter about others bettering themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on, Becca! I deleted that comment by Mr. (Ms.?) Anonymous - we need to support each other, not increase negativity! I wish anonymous well wherever they choose to exercise.

      Delete
  2. I was just thinking along these same lines yesterday. My positive influence is my trainer Jill. When I'm working out by myself, I think I don't want to let her down by doing less than my potential. Like I'd be cheating her. Not that she would know, but I would.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right on about this, girl! I am with you! And positivity? Heck to the yes! So proud of you doing this blog, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right on about this, girl! I am with you! And positivity? Heck to the yes! So proud of you doing this blog, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way... yes, that is an intentional silly link at the end. I'm about 3 years behind in my meme-pranks, but hey, let's bring it back!

    ReplyDelete