Tuesday, July 3, 2012

FEATURED MEMBER: Jamie

This week's featured member is Jamie.  I'm so excited to feature her - she was a seventh grader my very first year of teaching, and it's awesome to see her so sophisticated, beautiful, and living an active, healthy life!  (Funny how she has grown up but I haven't aged a bit...wait, isn't that something old people say?)  She has a great attitude and an amazing support system - her answers below left me smiling and feeling positive!  Congrats on your recent engagement, Jamie!

Tell us a little about yourself.
I recently graduated from Western Michigan University in April 2011 with a Bachelor of Science in Medicine and am working on getting my Masters as a Physician’s Assistant. I am also newly engaged to my fiancé Joshuah, and we hope to get married in the near future. He also attends SWAT classes with me. We are a very active couple and we enjoy biking, swimming, running and exercising together. We also plan to travel to Europe and take a vacation to an all-inclusive resort in Mexico soon.

What is your usual weekly workout routine?
I usually attend the Monday and Wednesday 5:30 Body Step and 6:30 pm Body Pump classes every week, as well as the 8:10 Body Pump and 9:15 am Body Step classes every other weekend. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I enjoy cardio and work on my core from 2:30-4:00 pm. I also attend other classes throughout the week after work or before beginning my day. Every class at SWAT is unique and inspiring. They seem to become more challenging with time, and I could not ask for more helpful, motivational, and enthusiastic instructors. I get an excellent workout at every class, and I can’t thank the instructors enough for their hard work.

What are your go-to snacks and meals?
Most of the food that I eat in between meals consists of fruits. I enjoy eating mangoes, papayas, star fruits, kiwi, pomegranates, blueberries, strawberries, watermelon, apples and bananas. I love trying new fruits whenever I can; the more exotic the fruit the better. I also enjoy nuts, yogurt, granola bars, pudding, cheese sticks, pretzels and all types of vegetables. I tend to stay away from salty snacks when going to the grocery store so that they don’t end up in my cabinets or cupboards. When it comes to meals I’ll try just about everything once, as I’m not a particularly picky eater. When I cook for myself, my meals usually contain pasta, fish, chicken, steak, and rice.

How do you balance being active with the demands of your daily life?
During middle and high school I had always been very petite because I was involved in various sports and extracurricular activities. Between the time I started college and finished I had gained about 25 lbs, and wasn’t satisfied with my appearance. While I was already a member at SWAT, I knew I needed to increase my level of physical activity. It has been a little over a year now, and I feel I’m back to the weight and fitness level I had when I graduated high school. SWAT has made me feel so much better about myself, and I truly enjoy attending every class that’s offered. While I work as a Nurse’s Aide and have many obligations in my personal life, I always make it a point to work out 5-7 days a week. I know that if I want to stay in shape I have to stay active, so I’ll make time wherever I can. If that means being at the gym late or waking up early to attend a class it’s always worth it. At first getting back into shape was rather tough, but my level of dedication and motivation has increased over time.

What is a fitness or healthy living goal you have for yourself?
My current goal is to become more fit and toned throughout the year. I still plan on losing a little weight, but I’m now focusing on trying to gain muscle mass. I’m always looking for new ways to work out and exercise, and try to involve myself in public events, such as Borgess’ Run for the Health of it. Going shopping and fitting into good looking clothes only goes half the way when feeling great about my self image.  The other half is what it makes me feel on the inside.  To know that I have decreased my risks of obtaining a health problem in the future is pretty good since a few health problems run in my family tree.  

What do you like about being a member at SWAT?
I truly am honored to be a member at SWAT fitness center. The staff and atmosphere are both very inviting! The staff greets you with a huge smile when you come in, and the amazing personal trainers and instructors go out of their way to talk to you before and after classes. I would not be able to find the motivation to come in day after day if it wasn’t for all the dedicated staff at SWAT. I definitely feel like we are all a family and have common goals for ourselves.

What is your favorite class at SWAT? Why?
I equally love Body Step and Body Pump. Julie, Marta, Ian and Doug’s classes are what keep me coming back week after week. The classes keep getting more challenging, but the instructors motivate you to give it your all. Still, I find myself eager to start once I walk through the door and the results I’ve seen have been fantastic! Words cannot describe how I feel about my body lately, and how much more energy I have compared to last year.

Do you have a person who is your healthy living/fitness inspiration? Who and Why?
There are two people that inspire me to be healthy and fit. My fiancé Joshuah and my sister Haffiza help me realize how all the hard work and dedication pays off. I like to receive advice and encouragement from them when it comes to making healthy choices for my meals and workout routine. They are also both there when I need someone to go work out with, and we motivate each other to stay in shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment