Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Consistently Inconsistent

If there's one thing I can count on about myself, it's that pendulum swing when it comes to staying healthy (or call it yoyoing if you prefer).  I was definitely on the eating right/working out end of the spectrum throughout the spring; I spent the summer on the overeating/inactive end.  

I'm back at school (we have nine days of professional development activities before the students start back after Labor Day), and I'm really trying to get myself back to the healthy end of things.  Having a daily schedule and routine will help a lot (although, hungry Julie is always a little disappointed with what healthy Julie has packed when she opens her lunch), but I do need to remember to take some time on Sundays to plan my workouts and meals for the week, or I'll end up skipping the gym and eating convenience foods.  

The weeks of professional development have always been challenging food-wise.  We are given lunch on our own, and it's fun to go out and socialize with my coworkers.  I just have to be careful to make healthy choices.  Although, this week, I've been eating what I want but still keeping track of the calories.  This means that I have consumed most of my calories once lunchtime is over.  I've done a pretty good job of not throwing in the towel at night, instead choosing small portions of healthy options. 

As far as exercise goes, I have yet to get back into the 5:30 am routine; I am hoping that once my body is used to my work schedule, I will have an easier time waking up in the morning.  For now, I'm taking mostly afternoon classes.

When I'm on the healthy end of the pendulum swing, I always tell myself, "This time will be different.  I can make this last forever."  I believe it, too.  Then something happens (could be anything - getting sick, getting stressed out, getting upset about my weight).  Suddenly, the pendulum has swung the other way, and I'm going for a third bowl of Rice Krispies at 9:30 pm.  It is a difficult task right now to stay disciplined, but maybe this time will be different and I can make it last forever.

1 comment:

  1. I'm nit complaining about seeing your smile at the afternoon classes... :)

    ReplyDelete