Well, I haven't blogged in a long time. Since my knee injury took me out of marathon training, I've really been struggling trying to figure out exactly what I can and should be doing for exercise. Also, the past two weeks have been my busiest and most stressful at work, and blogging has gone by the wayside for a bit. I'm back, though!!!
Unfortunately, I'm still in a lot of pain. It seems like the entire right side of my body has declared war on me. It starts at the top with my shoulder, which I've had issues with in the past. Basically, it's hypermobile and the joint impinges on a nerve. Ouch. Time to go back to the PT exercises for that! Then, there are knots on the back of my shoulderblade that seem to flare up daily. Moving downward, my spondylolysthesis (degenerative condition) in my lower back has also flared up, causing pain all the way down to my toes. I think that is what is making my hip flare up, as well as the IT band and outer knee. Now, there is pain in the top of my foot...could be more tendinitis, could be a stress fracture...who knows.
I'm a mess. Biofreeze, motrin, and ice only go so far.
So what's a girl to do when it seems like every form of cardio will only exascerbate her symptoms (and some weight lifting as well!)?? Since I can't run much these days, I've been focusing on short, intense workouts with weights. Also, when I do run, it's doing sprint intervals - as many as I can do within twenty minutes, resting when I need to.
I've also been trying to get more sleep, meaning more rest days if necessary. The needle on the scale is going in the wrong direction, but I do feel more content in general. I think I will plan to sign up for the next round of HIIT classes; that seems like the type of training I need to be doing right now.
How are YOU? How is your training going? Are you ready for spring??
Julie, long time...
ReplyDeleteI remember being in my best shape doing Body Attack and Combat at the gym. I then started a new job, and had a shoulder injury. I gained back 30 of the 100 pounds I lost. Its though getting remotivated! I got back into running again, but its frustrating to regain lost ground. Keep at it! -Martin Super