Thursday, March 22, 2012

ABsolutely challenging!

You may recall that a couple weeks ago my goal was to incorporate more core work into my routine.  I did, and one thing is crystal clear: I really need to keep strengthening my core because I have a loooooong way to go!  It has been extremely challenging every time I set out to do a core workout - enough to where I want to give up and say, "Oh well, guess I'm just not good at that."  However, I have seen some progress, so I'll keep at it.  I'm not going gung ho; I'm just trying to add an extra ten minutes 2-4 times per week.

I put the call out on the blog for help from anyone who has ideas for core workout.  I know there are tons of ideas online, but I'm always intimidated to try them.  I work much better if I have a real person giving me suggestions and demonstrations!

Three amazing, inspiring women stepped up to help: Megan, Heather, and Jessica.  They all exercise frequently (i.e., daily), and they're moms, so they are definitely familiar with trying to regain strength after the havoc that pregnancies wreak on the core region!  Jessica gets a lot of ideas for core exercises from Pinterest.  I did some core exercises with Megan and Heather the past couple Tuesdays, and I met up with Jessica on Sunday.  My workouts with them left me dead set on improving core strength so that someday, just maybe, I can actually complete one set of the exercises they're able to do!!  


By far, my favorite exercise was one I did Sunday with Jessica.  You put your toes on a medicine ball and arms in a plank position, then roll the ball in until you are in an upside down V-shape.  Then you roll the ball back out, do a push-up, and repeat the move lots and lots of times (or, as in my case, one time, then you fall flat on your face).  Holy cannoli, this was rough for me...and now I intend to master it.  Jessica's eventual goal for this one is to have both her hands on medicine balls (in addition to her feet).  She's already been successful with one hand on a medicine ball - wow!

My favorite exercise that I did with Megan and Heather was one where you put one of the purple foam blocks between your feet, lie on your back with legs extended (but not touching the ground), and extend your arms overhead.  Then you sit up and draw in your legs and arms at the same time.  When the legs and arms meet in the middle, you take the block in your hands, then repeat the extension and lie back.  Keep passing the block between the feet and hands.  I could only do a couple, but I intend to keep practicing.

Here are links Jessica sent me to some of the other moves we did (and if you want to meet me at the gym to attempt some of these together, I'd love that - just post a comment below!!):

Shape Magazine workout 

Blogger suggestions



At one point, I remarked to Jessica (after I flopped around while she seamlessly completed many reps of every exercise), "I usually consider myself a pretty coordinated person.  Not today."  She responded, "That's the point of core work!"  Right on, sister.

1 comment:

  1. We do the ball/plank/roll out thing at my gym as well . . . it's the frequent cause of wardrobe malfunctions for me!

    ReplyDelete