Friday, March 2, 2012

GOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLL!


            I decided that if I’m going to blog about my fitness journey, I have to set some goals, put them in writing, and share them with you – that’ll force me into accountability, right?  My first thought was to Google “famous quotes about goals,” pick my favorite, and use that as a starting point.  Then I realized you have probably heard or read umpteen quotes like those at work, in school, at church, on the walls of bathroom stalls… so, let’s just summarize.  A lot of famous quotes about goals basically say that you can’t reach your goals if you don’t define them.  Time to define.

But, but, defining fitness and nutrition goals is so hard (go back and reread that last sentence in a whiny, pouty voice).  I have SO much I need to work on.  Here’s a brief rundown: lose 30 pounds, run faster, control my portions, drink more water, stop drinking diet pop, get more sleep, get better at tricep pushups, increase core strength, make it through an Attack class without taking any low options, make better choices at restaurants, add Pilates or Yoga into my workout routine, stop eating so much at night, increase my squat weight in Pump, journal my food intake, get into the “normal” range on the Body Fat Index rather than the “overweight” range, wear a two-piece swimsuit someday – yup, I’d say that’s the tip of the iceberg.  I have all this to work on plus a full time job, private voice lessons to teach, three boys to raise, a house to clean, Netflix to watch, friends to hang out with, Skype dates with family around the country, and a husband who would probably appreciate some attention (I actually am thankful that my kids have allergies so I can’t add a dog into the crazy mix).  I know everyone reading this has just as much going on, if not more.

            Rather than remain overwhelmed, I’m going to focus on just a few goals.  Once I reach a goal, I’ll add another.  For now, here are three I think I will stick to, and they’re all SMART Goals (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely). 

My fingers are hesitating to type these…once they’re in writing, that nasty word accountable pops up again.  Deep breath…and…go:
1.      I will drink at least 48 ounces of water each day.  I know, I know…it should be higher than that, but trust me, 48 ounces will be a big improvement.  Once I get to that for a solid week (and make sure I can teach an entire class at work without having to run out to the bathroom), I’ll up the ounces.  My awesome new Kermit the Frog water bottle will help with this goal.  

2.      I will track all calories for one solid week and publish my food journal at the end of the week.

3.      I will be able to do five consecutive tricep pushups on my toes by April 1 (is that too low of a number?  I have a really hard time with tricep pushups, so I thought it was better to start small).

There, I did it.  Three goals.  Now it’s your turn.  What is one goal (or more) that you have?  (This is your cue to leave a comment below… don’t be shy!!!)

4 comments:

  1. I need to add some yoga/pilates to my workout routine, so I'm going to attend at least one Flow class per week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to add more balence to my workout and core strength

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricep push ups is a great one! So is core strength. For this week I want to stop eating after dinner. I gave up sugar for Lent so instead of eating a sweet and being satisfied, I've been snacking all night long lately!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Condition/train my body in 2012 for my big adventure in 2013 (100 mile run).

    ReplyDelete