Sunday, July 29, 2012

H.I.I.T. by a Truck

I took Marta's H.I.I.T. (High Intensity Interval Training) class yesterday (it's on Saturdays at 7 am), and WOW, what an amazing workout!!!  I am pretty sure it's the hardest class offered at SWAT, but don't let that scare you away - I think people of all fitness levels could be successful and really see some benefits.

I woke up that morning dreading the class.  I have taken Marta's H.I.I.T. class before, but it was over three years ago, when I was nowhere near the fitness level I am now.  Every time she described what we were going to do next, I remember thinking, "She wants us to do WHAT?!?!?"  So, I had an idea of what I was walking into yesterday, and I knew it wouldn't be pretty.

There were only four of us there - Barb, Bobbi Jo, Lisa, and myself.  I'm hoping more people will come in the future (come on, blog readers - please?), but with only four of us there, it was still awesome because it felt like a personal training session.  

I can't remember every single thing we did, but I'll do my best to describe some of it (I know Marta will change it up every week anyway).  We began with a warmup, which was going up and down the floor in Studio 1 doing various things (shuffles, skaters, jogging, jumping over steps, etc.).   We went out on the weightlifting floor, where she had us alternate mountain climbers on a Bosu with jumping over a bench.  Then we alternated jumping up onto the bench with crunches.  

Back in Studio 1, we pushed plates up and down the floor, alternating that with squat jumps.  We did bear crawls, walking lunges with a plate over our heads, and a really fun move (insert sarcastic voice) where we had to put our feet on a plate and use our arms to drag us down the floor (this one killed my lower back for some reason; I only made it halfway, but Barb, Bobbi, and Lisa nailed it!).  

After the work up and down the floor, we moved to the steps, doing various moves jumping on and off the steps.  We did some pushups, and we ended with core work in the form of planks off the step (of course, Marta couldn't leave it at just planks; we did walking planks both with our feet and hands, and we jumped our feet out and in).  

By the end, all of us were drenched in sweat.  I remarked how that was the longest 45 minutes of my life, but I definitely felt great!  I was glad to have the company of those three women - they are all rockstars!!  

I had already planned to jog after class that day, so I went home and did 4 miles.  My legs felt like they were made of lead!!!  I take that as a good sign.  

So, I really encourage you to give this class a try.  Marta will push you more than you would push yourself, and you will feel amazing afterward, I promise.  

1 comment:

  1. Julie, you were a rockstar too!!! Love that class, and I love being home by 8 a.m. ready for my morning coffee:)
    Bobbi Jo

    ReplyDelete