I ran 18 miles today.
You know, for fun.
My dear friend Kenny is training for the Disney marathon in January, so I decided to accompany him on his long run today. Like me, his longest run to date is 17 miles...the difference is that he did that two weeks ago; I did that three and a half years ago. My longest run recently was 11 miles two weeks ago.
I mapped out a six-mile loop through Portage. We took plenty of water breaks, and we were able to keep up conversation the entire time. Kenny is pretty speedy usually, but his long run pace is about 10:30; we stayed between 9:30 and 11:00 the whole time. Kenny is the one who got me started doing the run 4 minutes, walk one minute method, and that definitely helped.
By the last four miles, though, I was hurting. It was a struggle to make my legs move, and forcing myself to start running after each walk break was a huge mental feat.
HOW DO PEOPLE DO MARATHONS?!?!? I can't imagine going over 8 miles beyond that.
No comments:
Post a Comment