Tuesday, April 23, 2013

FEATURED MEMBER: Erica

This week's Featured Member is Erica.  She is a regular at the gym in the 9:15 time slot, and she's definitely someone you'd notice if you've been there at that time - she is outgoing, a hard worker, and, of course, is always wearing her trademark bandana.  Say hello the next time you see her!!
   

Tell us a little about yourself.
(I had to put 2 pictures since nobody recognizes me without my “do-rag” outside the gym!!!)  I am a happily married, stay-at-home mom of two.  Brynn is a 5th grader and Luke is a 2nd grader, both at Mattawan.  I am a sometimes consultant for a variety of instructional design and training delivery projects.  I am also an artist specializing in acrylic painting and custom murals.  We moved from California 3 ½ years ago when my husband Jim was transferred with Stryker.  SWAT has been a huge part of me adapting to Michigan!

What is your usual weekly workout routine?
Monday is Combat; Tuesday and Thursday is Pump and CX Works; Wednesday is cardio and Power Yoga; Friday and Sunday are usually running days.

What are your go-to snacks and meals?
I am religious about post-workout protein so I usually keep a shake in the car for the ride home.  When I am being good, snacks are edamame, yogurt, almonds and make-your-own sweet potato chips (sliced thin, 10-12 mins in micro at half power, spray with Pam and dust with garlic salt – YUM!!)  When I am being bad, don’t leave me alone with a box of Cheez-its or any kind of cheese.  As far as meals go, I love to cook.  I try not to look at anything as a “can’t have” but rather a matter of portion control.  We grill a lot and use plenty of veggies.  I’m not much of a baker so dessert is really not an issue.

How do you balance being active with the demands of your daily life?
 I am lucky that both kids are in school full-time so I have more flexibility for workouts.  9:15 is the sweet spot.  I try not to schedule any meetings, volunteer work, etc. until later so I don’t have any excuses.

What is a fitness or healthy living goal you have for yourself?
I really want to be able to run a full marathon. 

What do you like about being a member at SWAT?
Pretty much everything!  When I first moved to Michigan, SWAT was a really great way to meet like-minded people and make connections.  It still is pretty much the springboard for the rest of my day, both physically and socially.  If I don’t work out, I just feel “off” and crabby.

What is your favorite class at SWAT? Why? 
Isn’t that kind of like asking which of your children is your favorite?!?  They each do something so different for me.  Combat is such a great workout and stress reliever – punch, kick and yell “KIAH” – yes please!  Pump is foundational.  I love being challenged to bump up weights.  You really never know how strong you are until you try.  CX is great for a quick hit that truly makes such a difference in all the other classes.  And yoga – I never thought I could be that quiet and focused for a whole hour!  It stretches everything out and is an intense workout if you really push the poses like you are supposed to.

Do you have a person who is your healthy living/fitness inspiration? Who and why?
SWAT is full of inspiration.  The instructors seem to know when to push and when to make you laugh.  Workout partners know when to drag your butt out of bed and how much more you can do.  Even random people on the floor can make you say, “I should try that!”  I am super competitive so inspiration is all around me.

Anything else you'd like to say?
I love all the new changes and offerings at SWAT.  I really feel like it is becoming a presence in the community.  Keep up the good work!

No comments:

Post a Comment