Sigh. Back to work. I love my job, but this has been a fantastic summer of fun, relaxation, family time, friend time, reading, and playing. We planted our first garden, went to various beaches, went canoeing, got a dog, rode bikes, and had a nice little family getaway. Braeden and I made it most of the way through "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," the longest book in the series (and thank you, Emma, for providing me an example of a Scottish accent for when I do Professor McGonagall's voice).
One thing I will really miss about summer vacation is the time it grants me to exercise on a different schedule. During the school year, I try to get workouts in at 5:30 am so my evenings are free to spend with my family (don't picture us having many quiet evenings at home; we are often running around to sports practices, rehearsals, lessons, and play dates). I love taking the 9:15classes; my body is awake and ready to work hard. I took 5:30 am Attack Tuesday, and I felt sluggish and sore. HIIT class this morning was a little better; since it started at 5:45, I had time to warm up.
Once the students return, I will appreciate the routine of each day; that structure really helps me stay better on track with when, what, and how much I eat. My "witching hour" when it comes to food is around 4 pm. I'm so hungry right around then that I just derail by overeating (and usually, I'm not overeating cucumbers and carrot sticks!). My plan is to have veggies and fruit cut up and ready for me to grab when I come home, or, if possible, to eat an early dinner.
For this week and next week, however, we are sitting through eight days of seven-hour professional development sessions. Thus far, the information has been extremely valuable and interesting, but even so, sitting through lectures for that long each day can be mind numbing! We are teachers; we are used to being up and around all day! The district has graciously provided us with food to keep us happy: coffee, baked goods, and fruit in the morning (and more at our mid-morning break); a buffet for lunch (lasagna/salad/chicken/desserts the first day, wings/macaroni and cheese/pork sliders/potato salad/dessert the second day), cookies and potato chips for an afternoon snack, and cans of pop available all day long.
Talk about diet derailment! I have come prepared each day, my bag packed with fruit, veggies, and grilled chicken. Just so I don't feel completely deprived, I have coffee with one of those yummy flavored creamers in the morning and fruit from the lunch buffet. I get my workout in before work, and in the evenings, the boys and I ride bikes or walk the dog.
Wish me luck as I return to the real world, and I wish the same to all my teacher friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment