Tuesday, September 3, 2013

FEATURED MEMBER: Tim

This week's Featured Member is Tim.  I'm sure you've seen him around - he's so tall, he's hard to miss.  He's been a member for a long time, but until recently, I'd never seen him in the Les Mills classes.  I was really interested in what would lead a guy who's usually out on the weight floor to start trying Step and Attack and RPM - read below for the answer!


Tell us a little about yourself.
Well, I tried to get Julie to fill in this section for me with some exciting story, but she declined my offer.  So here is my exciting story. I have been a member of SWAT for about 8 years.  Normally you only see me on the weight floor, but recently I have been seen taking the classes at SWAT as well.  Multiple sports injuries have altered my workouts over the years causing a decrease in cardio activity.  About a month ago, I decided to use the Les Mills classes as a jump start to get over some of these bumps in the road. After about two weeks, I noticed a major difference in the conditioning of my entire body.  Can’t wait to see what is to come after taking the classes for an extended period of time.    

What is your usual weekly workout routine?
Daily workouts usually include taking one of the classes offered at SWAT along with some strength training on the gym floor.  Between the weight lifting and classes you can catch me at the gym almost every day.

What are your go-to snacks and meals?
One of my favorite snacks is sliced avocado and mango.  There is more to the recipe but I never make it past slicing them up before eating them all.  As for meals, I love to cook so there are too many good meals to pick from.  The normal basics in all the meals are quinoa, aduki beans, and kale.

How do you balance being active with the demands of your daily life?
These past couple years I have been working extremely longs days during the week and putting in extra time on the weekends.  The only time I could find to work out was the late evenings.  However, I have been fortunate this summer to have more of a normal schedule which has allowed me to work out at earlier times in the day.  Hopefully my schedule stays more like this in the future so I can continue to participate in classes at SWAT.

What is a fitness or healthy living goal you have for yourself?
I would have to say running another marathon would be one of my top fitness goals.  I enjoy the mental as well as the physical challenge involved with the training and the race itself.    

What do you like about being a member at SWAT?
SWAT has something for everyone no matter what your fitness level is.  Between the weights, classes, cardio equipment, and CrossFit type equipment, SWAT offers more than the average gym. 

What is your favorite class at SWAT? Why?
This question could get me in trouble with the instructors or member in my next class… ha ha.  So basically all the classes are my favorite!  One of the first classes I ever took was Body Combat and I loved it.  When that was the only class I took, it was my favorite.  However, now that I have tried all the classes, picking one favorite would be impossible.  Each class offers something different that I enjoy, and all the classes push your body to new heights.  I have had a blast participating in each class and will continue taking them all in the future.   Special shout out to all the instructors – their hard work is very much appreciated.

Do you have a person who is your healthy living/fitness inspiration? Who and why?
My fitness inspiration comes from my sister, Deanna Huff.  Her rollercoaster life story has changed my own life forever. There are no more excuses to not being active after seeing what she has gone through.  Through multiple kidney transplants, years on dialysis, endless trips to Mayo Clinic (MN) while living in Alaska, nothing ever slowed her down.  She continued spending endless hours and days enjoying her love for the outdoors and being active.  If she wasn’t in the hospital you would find her outside mountain biking, hiking, skiing and running. It didn’t matter if there were tubes sticking out of her body, she just always found a way to be doing what she loves.  Although still having to monitor her body carefully, she continues to push her body to its limits.  These past few years, she has competed in multiple races, from 5ks to half marathons run and most recently finished her first 50K.  Maybe if I’m lucky, my next marathon would be with her running beside me. 

Anything else you'd like to say?
I enjoy reading inspiring and motivational stories and wanted to share one of my favorite quotes right now:

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
 -Vivian Greene


No comments:

Post a Comment