Sunday, September 15, 2013

Gathering Strength

Woah.  That back-to-school stuff hit us hard!  I've been super exhausted and stressed (a lot of it is positive stress - I really do enjoy my job! - but still, stress), my own kids are still adjusting to the new schedule (somebody has a meltdown every night - it's nice that they seem to be taking turns), and balancing homework / social life / exercise / lessons / meetings / cooking is, as for you, I'm sure, a balancing act.  

These past few weeks, I've been focusing less on cardio and really working on strength training.  I try to do at least one Pump and two CXWORX classes a week, along with three intense strenghth workouts per week, each focusing on a different area (legs, back/chest, and arms/shoulders).  Why?  Well, basically, my injuries.  I've had to give up running pretty much completely; my hip / knee / and back flare up within a few tenths of a mile.

I'm not as comfortable out on the weight floor as I am on the cardio machines or in the classes, but I'm getting more and more used to it.  Basically, I stick to the same exercises week after week, increasing the amount of weight I lift when I feel I can.  I move quickly from one exercise to the next, trying to keep my heart rate up while I'm lifting.  When I do cardio, it's short, intense workouts of about twenty minutes (kind of like HIIT classes, but not as intense simply because I don't push myself as hard as the instructors push me...I'm working on that!).  

I do notice a difference when I'm in Pump.  I'm able to lift 40 lbs on each side during the squat track, and I've increased my weight in other tracks too.  It feels good!!  Now, if I could just be consistent with the healthy eating and portion control, I bet I could take some inches off, not just increase strength!


1 comment:

  1. If you ever feel intimidated working out on the floor, just imagine my current situation - an increasingly round female fighting for a few free inches of space with dozens and dozens of sweating, grunting, strutting young marines.

    ReplyDelete