Every Halloween, I end up eating lots and lots of candy. Why? Because it's there, plain and simple. I'll start with my favorite, a Reeses cup, and end up eating anything I can get my hands on (including those gross peanut butter taffy things - you know, the ones in orange or black wrappers - that are so stale they must have been manufactured before I was even born).
Honestly, if I could stick to just one piece, especially something not-as-bad-for-me (dark chocolate, perhaps), it wouldn't be a big deal...but that is never the case! This year, it'll be different. I'm putting it out in public that I'm not going to eat ANY candy on Halloween (or after...I'd better state that, too, or I'll end up just postponing my usual Halloween sugar binge to the next day!).
I'm hoping my own kids learn better self-control than I ever did. I try to help them by setting limits on how much of their Halloween candy they can have (one piece per day, usually). So far, it's been successful; by mid-November, they've forgotten it's there, and I can toss what's left. When I was growing up, I was in control of my own candy; I kept it in my room and ate as much of it as I wanted, whenever I wanted. The candy ran out quickly, but my cravings sure didn't!
This year will be different than every previous year. If I can make it through Halloween without having a single piece of candy, that'll be awesome!
You can do it, even if it means I have to burn all of the candy in front of the children!
ReplyDeleteReese's is my favorite too!!!!
ReplyDeleteI found that tootsie pops are the best candy to have around. They are 60 calories each and take a long time to eat.
I didn't buy candy this year... so I hope no one comes to the door. I suppose I could give them each a lean cuisine?
--Trisha