A week ago, Braeden (my 7-year-old) and I signed up for the One One Run. It's a huge event; this year, there were over 1,800 runners and walkers who willingly came out in the cold to participate. Wow! I asked Reed (the 4-year-old) if he would join us too, but he said that no, he hates running and would never do the One-One Run, either this year or in any future years, and he wouldn't be doing any other runs ever either. Hmmm.
When we woke up yesterday, the sun was shining, I was feeling rested, and I convinced Asa that it would be great to start a family tradition this year of having the entire family participate. The course is only 2.2 miles, and you have the option of going one loop or two, to make it 4.4 (there is also the Polar Bear Run, a half marathon that starts earlier and incorporates the One One Run course into its final miles; it is organized by Scott VanLoo, a SWAT Featured Member!). Plus, we had a ton of friends who would be participating (including lots of other kiddos from SWAT). It was the final event for SWAT's Choose to Lose contest, and I wanted us both to be there to support the participants and find out who the winners were.
Reed threw a massive temper tantrum (screaming, hitting, removing the warm clothing we forced on him) from the moment we told him our plans right up to the time we entered Spring Valley Park. We should've turned around, but at some point, it became about us winning and him submitting to our will and participating in this fun run whether he wants to or not, damnit. Bad idea, even if our intentions were good.
We had to arrive early to register Asa for the run, so the kids were waiting around a long time for the race to start. Poor Ozzie (the 1-year-old) was freezing (he refuses to keep a hat or mittens on, no matter how many times we put them back on him). Reed had finally calmed down, but he was still crying quietly. Again, a sign we should've called it quits.
Braeden and I started out with the runners; Asa took the double stroller to the back to walk and push Reed and Ozzie. Braeden did great, but after about a half mile, he said his feet hurt and he couldn't run. He was definitely dressed for running, not walking, so our pace got slower and slower as he got colder and colder. Eventually, Asa, Reed, and Oscar caught up to us...we could hear them coming a few minutes before they reached us because both Reed and Oscar were screaming. Braeden, now totally stressed out, started crying too. (Where were those endorphins??) Once he saw me, Oscar wanted to be held (he is not a light child, so at least I got an upper body workout). Asa summed it up perfectly: "This is the worst experience ever." Okay, in the grand scheme of life, it's probably not that bad... but it's one of those parenting moments when your stress level is through the roof. I'm glad there were plenty of sane adults around to prevent me and Asa from attempting to throw ourselves in the lake. ;-)
Getting back to the car, parked about 1/2 mile away, was another super fun ordeal. Once they warmed up, we had our sweet boys back again. All the energy they spent screaming led to a long naptime, giving me and Asa time to chill out. I really am proud of Braeden for walking the 2.2 miles in less than ideal conditions, but I'm scared that I've turned off all three of them to any future races. I really, really want to do these things as a family and have the kiddos look forward to them! When we got to the end, we saw Christen (Body Attack, Pump, CXWORX, Flow, and Step instructor) and her whole family posing for a picture after crossing the finish line. Emma's whole family made it through as well, as did Jill's. Someday, the Davis family, too, will make it through a race and actually enjoy it!!!
In other news, the Choose to Lose winners were announced. Heidi won first place (losing a whopping 48 pounds!), Jen came in second, and Christine came in third. ALL of the participants should be proud!!
| Christine, Heidi, and Jen |
No comments:
Post a Comment