Tuesday, January 29, 2013

FEATURED MEMBER: Rita

This week's Featured Member is Rita.  Emma recommended that Rita be featured because "she has totally transformed her body."  If you take group fitness classes, I'm sure you'll recognize Rita - she's the one in the back who voices what everyone else is thinking!  

Tell us a little about yourself.
Married to my best friend, Shawn, for 27 years, I'm 54 years young, and have 3 children.  Erin, the oldest, lives in Sioux Falls, SD.  She is a crime scene investigator and chemist for the Sioux Falls police department.  My son, Ian, is a senior at Central Michigan and will graduate this May, with a degree in Meteorology, and Caitlin is a junior at Grand Valley, studying Exercise Science. I work for the Mattawan Schools.

What is your usual weekly workout routine?
 I try to attend 2-3 classes each day, just mixing up the workouts. 

What are your go-to snacks and meals?
I don't eat anything white, only whole wheat or multi-grain. As much organic as I can, especially fruits.  Buy local, at farmers markets in the summer.  I do not really have any go-to food.  I just try to eat healthy and keep plenty of healthy items in the house.  I am naughty and sometimes cheat on my diet, but we are only human.  I just pick myself up, brush off and climb back on the healthy wagon.

How do you balance being active with the demands of your daily life?
 With my children mostly out of the house now, it is easier to stay on track.  I always make time to work out.  My husband, Shawn, goes with me, so we keep each other in check.  We can USUALLY talk each other into going to the gym, if one does not want to go. When the weather is nice, we take walks, or go hiking. 

What is a fitness or healthy living goal you have for yourself?
I want to do part of the Appalachian Trail with my husband.  Mt. Katahdin, in Maine, is part of the trail.  Four years ago, we, as a family, reached the summit.  It was a great feeling to make it to the top, especially since I have a fear of heights. In fact, we are climbing Mt. Katahdin again this summer. Should be easier than the first, since we know what to expect.  Once we retire, we want to spend six weeks hiking in Ireland and Scotland.  As far as a healthy living goal, just keep up with what I'm doing, and hoping to stay around to be a nuisance to my children. :)

What do you like about being a member at SWAT?
I enjoy the classes, and the people.  The trainers and instructors are professional, and make the classes enjoyable.  

What is your favorite class at SWAT?
I really do not have a favorite, I enjoy them all. 

Do you have a person who is your healthy living/fitness inspiration? Who and why?
 I do this now for my mother.  She is 88, and suffers from Parkinson's disease, which is robbing her of her mobility.  She was a very active woman, raising a large family, and very busy at all times.  She is home bound now, but still very positive in her outlook on life.  I can only hope to  grow old as graceful and positive as she has.

Anything else you'd like to say?
We are all at SWAT for the same reasons, losing weight, getting in shape, trying to make ourselves healthier.  We have to be realistic with our goals.  We did not get out of shape in a few weeks, and we did not gain our weight over night.  Do not expect to reach your goals in a matter of weeks.  Do not let the scale dictate how you are doing, or if you will succeed. If things are not happening as fast as you want, change your workout, talk to someone on what your next move should be.  Stay positive and keep moving.  We will all get there, eventually.  I have not met my goals yet, so I'll be sticking around and commenting on workouts from the back of the room, for quite awhile.  Stay strong......

1 comment:

  1. It's great hearing from the 50+ members (I'm in that category too and just became a BodyVive instructor)! Don't let age get in the way of your goals; we are all stronger than we think!! Love your words of wisdom Rita:-)

    ReplyDelete