Tuesday, February 26, 2013

FEATURED MEMBER: Heidi

This week's Featured Member is Heidi.  Heidi has is a long-time SWAT member; she and I know each other from being around for so long.  Our kids also go to the same elementary school, so it's fun seeing her in different places!  She was the winner of the most recent Choose to Lose contest, and she's still losing weight now.


Tell us a little about yourself.
I am 38 years old and I currently work at SWAT as the drop-in Kidz Kove manager and I also work at Miller Auditorium at Western Michigan University as the Hospitality Coordinator.  My spouse have been together for 14 years and we have three kids: AJ, who is 10, and twins Aiden & Emilee, who are 6. 

What is your usual weekly workout routine?

Since starting to excercise again with the help of the Choose to Lose contest, I try to exercise at least 6 days a week.  Since I am still in weight loss mode, I try to do mostly cardio, running, rowing, ArcTrainer, Jacobs Ladder, etc.  When life allows me to, my workout will be no less than 60 minutes, but I have done as few as 20 minutes because that is what I could fit in.  To me, 20 minutes makes a difference and you can get a good workout with that 20 minutes.

What are your go-to snacks and meals?

My go-to on the go snacks are raw almonds.  Love them.  I count out 24 kernels and put them in a snack bag and carry them with me.  For a meal, I love chicken.  Add a veggie or two and I'm good.

How do you balance being active with the demands of your daily life?This continues to be a struggle for me.  Like I mentioned before, I work two jobs, have a family, and I am about to start my last class for my grad school program.  However, I have known all my life what it is like to be overweight, even  losing a couple of pounds made a difference for me so I stick with it.  I like the "newer" me. 

What is a fitness or healthy living goal you have for yourself?

I first tell myself to realistic.  Sure I would love to lose 100 pounds, but realistically that is not going to happen overnight.  I set smaller goals, weight-wise, then adjust when I reach them.  I want to continue to make myself healthier, and I am setting a great example for my kids.  I let myself have a treat every now and then, but I also tell myself that it is not because I can't have it, because I can.  It is because I don't want it!

What do you like about being a member at SWAT?

I love all that SWAT stands for, I always have.  I joined SWAT about 5 years ago through another weight loss competition.  The trainers and staff were so supportive and passionate about what they do for people, that I did whatever I could to stay (that's how I got my job).  I like the fact that when I walk in, people greet me by name.  I love the fact that when I am working out, people that I barely know come up and talk to me and make me feel like I am their sister.  Family is SWAT.
 
What is your favorite class at SWAT? Why?I have taken almost all of the classes at SWAT and like the ones that I have taken for a different reason.  I have even taken Silver Sneakers classes just to see what they were like, so I knew more about the class.  There is not a bad class in the building, and for that matter, there is not a bad instructor.  Each one pushes you to your potential and like I said before, the passion cannot be matched anywhere.

Do you have a person who is your healthy living/fitness inspiration? Who and why?

I really don't have just one person.  I constantly ask all the trainers for pointers and guidance and they are all willing to share what they know. 

Anything else you'd like to say?

If people are reading this and haven't tried SWAT yet, please do.  It truly is a place where size does not matter, people do!

No comments:

Post a Comment