Thursday, May 24, 2012

A new angle...speed training?

I've been in physical therapy for my foot for about three months now, and I'd estimate it's only about 50% better.  I think my PT and I have finally figured out the correct orthotic insert and shoe combination, but with my foot structure (or, rather, lack of structure), I don't know that I'll ever get back to long distance running.

Sigh.  I was hoping I had at least one marathon in me.
 
I'm trying to get back to running, but rather than increasing my mileage quickly, I want to limit my mileage to about 2-4 miles at a time, no more than three times per week (maybe even only twice per week, since I also want to do Attack, from which my feet also need recovery).  I think I should focus on a different goal: running faster, and with good form.

If my feet could take it, I wouldn't be very intimidated by marathon training.  Sure, it would be difficult, but all I'd have to do is increase mileage.  The farthest I've ever run is 17 miles, so I know I have some stamina.  However, I am terrified to try to increase my speed.  I was the kid in school who dreaded that day in PE class when we had to run the mile - I felt humiliated every second because I was so slow.  When I try to run faster, I feel like I'm going to die, and I've never been able to push past that feeling!  My current comfortable pace is around 10:00 (6 mph), and I think my fastest 5K is 28:40. 

If you haven't heard of Good Form Running, it's worth investigating.  There are Good Form clinics at Gazelle on Wednesday nights from 6-7:15 - is anyone interested in registering with me to attend one??  I've tried to incorporate the steps to good form, but I have a really hard time with the mid-foot strike and getting up to a cadence of 180, even at a 10:00 pace.

Of course, there are lots of websites that will tell you how to train to run faster.  I like this one, which gives you a "to do" list.  I also like this Runner's World article because it uses a fun word: fartlek (I can picture my Facebook status now: "Julie is out fartleking").

Have any of you had success at getting faster?  Please share - I'd love to hear about it!!

3 comments:

  1. Those Good Form Running clinics are awesome. I highly reccomend attending one. They also have other clinics/seminars that can help prevent injuries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't focus on the 180 cadence!!! That frustrates a lot of people and it's not accessible to all. Just increasing your leg turnover will help a ton! If you want a great program, come join us for Gazoom or Summer Safari Training!!!
    Here's the link to all of the training programs available in K-zoo!
    http://www.gazellesports.com/info/220-kalamazoo.html#kz-25k

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for both these comments! I'm glad to hear that the 180 cadence is frustrating for other people...I definitely have a really hard time with it! I will look into the summer training programs, but I'm not sure I want to spend the money when my foot injury might not allow me to participate.

    ReplyDelete