Tuesday, April 17, 2012

FEATURED MEMBER: Scott

This week, I'm featuring Scott, whom I met three years ago at the 5:30 am Body Attack classes.  Since I've met him, he has become a hardcore athlete.  This fall, he was a "Marathon Maniac" who completed three marathons - the Indianapolis, Chicago, and Grand Rapids - all within ONE WEEK!  That would be an amazing transformation for anyone, but it's especially impressive since he only added cardio to his workouts a few years ago!


Tell us a little about yourself.
     I was born in Kalamazoo and raised in Portage.  I’m married, have two boys, and we live in the Mattawan area.  I’m an IT Business Analysis for the Analytical Sciences division of MPI Research.
     Interests and hobbies include slalom waterskiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, windsurfing, boating ... yes, can you tell I like water activities?  Some other interests include disc golfing, mountain biking, hiking/camping/outdoors, autocross.  But the hobby/interest that I have the most passion about is running. 
     2008 is the year I added cardio into my work routine (to help reduce the husband ‘pregnancy’ weight).  It started out with 30 minutes on the treadmill at 3 times a week and grew.  During the spring of 2009 I decided to run my first 5K and from there, well, if you know me, the addiction of running started.  Since 2009, I’ve completed 11 marathons, 4 ultra-marathons and multiple 5K, 10Ks, & 25Ks.  Currently I’m training for the Yankee Springs Trail Double Marathon in June.  Overall for 2012, I’m testing my fitness level with a training schedule to see if I’ll be ready for a 100 mile ultra-marathon for the fall of 2013.  So far…all systems are go still! 

What is your usual weekly workout routine? 
     My weekly workout routine depends on what race I’m ultimately shooting for.  Below I’ve listed my current workout routine that is focused for a 52 mile ultra-marathon in June of this year.

Mondays

     • Weights: 6AM Body Pump if the prior weekend run plans were not crazy long back-to-  
        backs.
     • Run: Typically a rest day of running.  May run an easy 3 miler warm up on the treadmill prior

        to Body Pump.
Tuesdays     

     • Run: Lunch time run of 5 to 6 miles at an easy pace.  Late evening run of 6 miles at an   
        easy pace.
Wednesdays     

     • Weights: 6AM Body Pump class
            As it gets brighter out in the morning, I’ll do my ‘concrete’ workout.  This includes 7 mile

            run to SWAT for the 6AM Body Pump class then a 7 mile back home after pump class.
     • Run: Lunch time run of 5 to 6 miles at marathon pace (will skip if longer run is done in the 

       morning)
Thursdays     

     • Cardio: 5:30AM Body Attack
     • Run: Lunch time run of 6 miles tempo workout (1 mile warm up, 2 miles at tempo, 1 mile of

       hills at 30 seconds less tempo rate and 1 mile of cool down/recovery).
     • Run: Late evening run of 6 miles at an easy pace.
Fridays     

     • Weights: 6AM Body Pump (usually every other week)
     • Run: Lunch time run of 5 to 6 miles with the last mile of 100 meter stride out repeats
Saturdays     

     • Run: Long run – typically the longest run of the week (18 to 24 miles).  Run is  
          either with the KAR Beyond training group or running out on the trails (Al Sabo, Yankee 
       Springs, Fort Custer).
Sundays     

     • Run: Recovery run – typically half of the previous day’s mileage.  Usually running with the
       Dirty Herd out at Al Sabo.

What are your go-to snacks and meals?     
     FOOD!!!  I’m always munching on something….might just be the ‘benefit’ of being a runner.  Although I am starting to evaluate what I’m eating as I do want to drop my over body fat % because the less I have on me the more efficient I am on my long runs.  I heard one ultra-marathoner say that he tries to stick to food that is not more than 4% fat because he has 4% body fat.
     Currently my daily snacks range from healthy (bananas, grapes, apples, strawberries, crackers) to not so healthy (late afternoon snack run to the vending machine for my weekly Snickers!!!.....I LOVE SNICKERS).  Did I mention that I drink a ton of water each day?  I take a 32 oz water bottle with me to work and I typically refill that 3 to 4 times a day just during work.  When I do feel the urge to snack I always grab my water first.
     In regards to meals, I attempt to watch what I eat per calorie count.  I’ve learned to eat less at one time but amp up the amount of times I eat throughout the day.  Thus I typically eat about 6 to 7 times a day…obviously at smaller portions.


How do you balance being active with the demands of your daily life? 
     This is the number one question that I’m asked.  With a full time job and a family that is always on the move, it truly is a balancing act.  My wife started to work again this past year so finding a time that I could continue my runs was hard to manage, thus why I started running at work during my lunch hour.  This switch has been great for both me and the family.  The energy that I have now in my afternoons at work is amazing!  Who needs a 5 hour energy drink when you come back from a fast tempo 6 mile run with some work colleagues!?  Short runs definitely boost up my energy so that I can tackle the rest of my day.

What is a fitness or healthy living goal you have for yourself?
      Healthy goal is to maintain a wellness that makes me happy with myself and more importantly that I feel good.  I have been diagnosed as a pre-diabetic and that definitely pushes me to keep a healthy lifestyle.
     Fitness goal is to sustain my running adventures for many more years to come!  I absolutely love the time that I can get out on the trails by myself or with friends and the rush (or runner’s high) is something that words can’t describe.  That experience is something that I don’t want to lose. 


What do you like about being a member at SWAT? 
     The people and, most importantly, the instructors.  You can work out anywhere but to be pushed to a level that you think you can’t by someone that knows that you can is the BEST!  The LesMills classes are GREAT !

What is your favorite class at SWAT?  Why? 
     This is a tough one to answer because they’re all great!  But I will have to say that the Body Attack class is my favorite.  I will say though that Marta’s HIIT (high intensity interval training) class ROCKS!!  I would love to see that program regularly on the schedule.   

Do you have a person who is your healthy living/fitness inspiration?  Who and why?      
     There are so many people in my life that are my healthy and fitness inspirations.  From my running crew family (EPIC Crew) that inspire me every day with new running accomplishments that they personally take on, tackle and succeed…to my 8 year old son (Sam) who ran his first 5K last year and had a blast (now he wants to run a 10K with me this year)…to the charities that I run for so that the money raised will help research and/or find a cure for the disease.
     Overall, Julie’s husband (Asa) said it best, I want to be a good example to my boys so that they are inspired to live a healthy/active life.

No comments:

Post a Comment