My wife Joanie and I have been members at SWAT 5 years. I retired 4 years ago after a 35-year career in Industrial Sales with considerable travel. I made a commitment to exercise and fitness in retirement, and it seems to be working for me. I do volunteer work for Constance Brown Hearing Centers in Kalamazoo and Portage. If someone in class is saying “turn it down,” it’s probably me.
What is your usual weekly workout routine?
I came to SWAT for RPM and weights but eventually tried Pump. Now my routine has grown to the following:
All morning classes
Mon: Body Vive, Body Combat
Tue: Body Flow, RPM
Wed: Body Vive, Body Attack
Thur: Body Flow, RPM
Fri: Body Pump at noon
Sat: RPM, Body Flow
What are your go-to snacks and meals?
1-2 Gallons of water per day - thanks to Marta!
Breakfast: oatmeal nuked with Silk Pure Almond milk, roasted almonds, banana and cinnamon
After Workout: Water Street Coffee with a scoop of burner protein
Lunch: omelet with feta and spinach or vanilla Greek yogurt with fruit (melon or raspberries or
strawberries or roasted almonds).
Sometimes Panera: pick 2 - Black Bean Soup and Greek Salad
Qdoba naked burrito is now two meals.
Snack: melon or roasted almonds or yogurt
Dinner: Joanie follows Weight Watchers recipes so I eat very well and healthy. If you met
Joanie you would wonder why she does WW, but it works for us.
Meal # 5: small serving of Grape Nuts and Silk Almond Milk (nuked 1 minute), almonds and
cinnamon
When we go out to dinner, I eat whatever as long as it is natural, not processed.
Roasted Almonds: buy 48oz. bag of natural raw almonds at Sam’s Club. Roast single layer on cookie sheet bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. 3 cookie sheets will do a whole bag. Let almonds cool and put back in bag which is re-sealable. Tasty salt free snack, oatmeal or salad addition.
How do you balance being active with the demands of your daily life?
Retirement brings ideal flexibility to make SWAT a priority for us. If I’m not at SWAT, chances are we are traveling or in Grand Rapids with our grandsons.
What is a fitness or healthy living goal you have for yourself?
The long range goal is to be doing Vive at 85. Did the blitz on Feb 3rd and found a new level of fitness and metabolism. Resting heart rate dropped into the fifties and I had to work harder to get my heart rate up in all classes and RPM. Worked harder and the weight started coming off again. Then did Marta’s Noon RPM class on Fat Tuesday which came with a weight loss challenge. 40 days to at least maintain current weight or lose. Marta suggested 8 hours of sleep a night and drink 1-2 gallons of water per day. These activities have resulted in a 20lb weight loss for me. I am at pre-1985 weight now and do Combat and Attack on a regular basis along with Vive, Flow, Pump and RPM. I have never felt better. At age 59-1/2 my BP is 117/76. Love it! My total weight loss since 2002 when I went back to the gym after many years is 60 lbs.
Makes any other way to live unacceptable!
What do you like about being a member at SWAT?
The comraderie within classes and with the Instructors is great. Some peer pressure, support and all around common goals make participation very enjoyable. The overall environment is very friendly with staff and other members, and I look forward to my workout each day.
What is your favorite class at SWAT? Why?
I like them all but lately I like Body Attack. I never thought I could do it but now I am. The low impact options make it more manageable for me. Combat is fun too. Body Vive is the surprise class at SWAT. Although low impact, I burn a lot of calories. I would suggest everyone try it….the work level will surprise you.
Do you have a person who is your healthy living/fitness inspiration? Who and why?
The list is long and distinguished…..Chris Boucher, Jill Thompson, Emma, Marta, Jessica, Michelle (Sat AM RPM). They all offer suggestions, motivation and friendship and make my workout experience more pleasant…. once I catch my breath.
Anything else you’d like to say?
As we used to say in the sales world….”showing up is half the battle.” I have proven to myself that I have to continue working out to compete in the aging process. To find a new level of metabolism at my age is the proof statement. Keep working and you will meet your fitness goals. Stay home and you will not!

What a great interview! Thanks for sharing, Ron!
ReplyDeleteRon is not only an inspiration, he's a friend to everyone at SWAT! He was one of the first people to ask my name and always says Hi to me. :) I love his long range fitness goal and hope that achieve that myself!
ReplyDeleteYou are awesome, Ron!
ReplyDelete