I came across this recipe in the February issue of Oxygen magazine. I love to eat egg whites for breakfast, but if I'm heading straight to work from the gym, I have no way of cooking them. These egg cups are easy to make ahead of time and reheat once I'm at work. Put in whatever veggies you want; I just used what we happened to have at home. You could eliminate the cheese or substitute a different type of cheese. I liked the fat free feta because it adds a lot of flavor without a lot of calories (I used 1 ounce for 6 egg cups, which only added 6 calories per cup). Each serving is around 55 calories if you use only egg whites; it would be around 85 if you use a whole egg.
1. Coat a muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. Fill each muffin cup with 1/4 c. egg whites (about 1.5-2 egg whites).
3. Top with red pepper, onion, spinach, mushrooms, and fat free feta cheese.
4. Bake at 375 degrees until the eggs are firm (approximately 15 minutes).
hm. I may have to try this!
ReplyDeleteYum. Thanks for sharing this--what a great idea for healthy food on-the-go!
ReplyDeleteMade these tonight to have on hand for a quick breakfast when mornings are rushed (ok, every morning...) So yummy! Thanks for the idea!
ReplyDeleteWonderful - I'm so glad you enjoyed them! Question: did yours totally stick to the pan? Mine did when I used cooking spray, so I decided to use paper cupcake cups the second time. Big mistake - we had to throw the pan away!!
Delete